Services‎ > ‎Town Clerk's Office‎ > ‎

NYS Marriage Licenses

General Information

  • A NYS Marriage License can be used only within New York State.
  • There is a 24 (twenty-four) hour waiting period, and then the NYS Marriage License is valid for 60 (sixty) days.
  • Cost of license is $40.00 cash.
  • Couple must apply in person during our regular business hours. PLEASE CALL OFFICE IN ADVANCE OF YOUR VISIT.
  • Both applicants must be 18 years or older. Present proof as stated below.
  • If previously married and divorced, a certified copy of all divorces must be presented to Town Clerk.
  • If previously married and spouse has passed away, please present death certificate or know exact date of death.
Proof of Age and Identity

A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting the following:

1. One of the following age related documents:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal record
  • Naturalization record
  • Census record

2. One of the following identity related documents:
  • Driver's License
  • Passport
  • Employment Picture ID
  • Immigration Record
All records must be presented in ENGLISH,  with no exceptions.

NYS Marriage Ceremony
Both parties must state in the presence of an authorized member of the clergy or public official, and at least one other witness, that each takes the other as his or her spouse. In selecting a witness, choose at least one person who you feel would be competent to testify in a court proceeding as to what he or she witnessed.

Who can perform a marriage ceremony in Ripley?
  • A member of the clergy or a minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body.
  • Town Justice (contact the Town Justice Department)
Where can I get copies of my marriage records?

Marriage records are maintained in the Town Clerk's Office where the couple purchased their marriage license. The current fee for a certified copy is $10.00. Please contact the office for further information.